Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October 30, 2012

One of the interesting things which my thrift-shopping friends and I have discovered, is that there is no place like home for great thrift shops! We have traveled to many areas of Florida seeking out gems and treasures, and have always found that our own area really does have the best thrift shops.



Genuine Eelskin Purse - $4.99
 
One of my favorite things to hunt for while thrift-shopping is vintage children's books. Much of the childrens literature which has been published in the last forty years has been sadly lacking in the imagination, and rich illustrations found in many of our childrens books from many decades ago. 
Here are some of my favorites in my collection!




Choo-Me-Shoo
by Holling C. Holling
True 1st Edition
bought for a quarter!



Beautiful illustrations




The classic Make Way for Ducklings... 0.50

These comforting brown illustrations zoom me right back to my childhood!

The Boy Jesus... vintage hardcover. Can't remember what I paid for this one. I've had it a long time!

 
Though Goodwill and Salvation Army have excellent bargains and finds, I love the small thrift stores at our local churches. Time is needed to hunt through the racks and shelves, but I nearly always come out with some little treasure or other. I have found that one of our local charity thrifts has started pricing goods according to their internet searches, which means you are not likely to get a real treasure without paying for it! Very disappointing approach for we thrifters, though maybe they raise more money that way. I hope it is not the wave of the future.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment